Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Awesome Incarnate

I should really be doing something like programming homework right now but for reason I'm in a mood to enhance the library of posts I have about nothing. I was thinking about something earlier today that I found pretty interesting, as I begin my second year of college I realize how far off college is from how it's portrayed in movies. When you see a movie about college it's usually one that involves constant partying or a huge rivalry between the nerds and the jocks but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Earlier today actually I went to a workout for Humans vs. Zombies, the most awesome thing to exist ever, and instead of the boring plan to just run around campus we played freeze tag followed by manhunt. I haven't played freeze tag or manhunt in years and it was a hell of a lot of fun, but not really what you would expect college students to be doing. The preconceived notion that college students are either studying vigorously all the time or drinking their days away is such bullshit.

Like HvZ but way less awesome

We all know that movies have no real knowledge of what's going on in real life and are purely for entertainment purposes, but who would want to go to college if they thought it was just full of constant homework and no time to do anything. I would have felt a little less nervous about going to college if I knew that I would get a chance to basically be a kid again. I'm not saying that college is easy, because there are classes that are going to take up a lot of my time this semester(programming), but I think that it's shown to be less fun than it actually is. There's a lot of time before or after classes and even on the weekends where I finish really early and have nothing to do, so why not fill that time with work or having fun acting like a kid again.



I definitely don't mind spending a couple hours in the middle of the week running around with friends, when it's a much safer alternative from other things. I remember actually getting weird looks from people during HvZ week because I'm running around with a bandanna on my head or a nerf gun in my hand. I have to admit it probably looks a bit weird but I'm not gonna let standing out in a crowd keep me from doing something fun. It made me think of the multitude of other clubs that we have here at FSU that have the same attitude as HvZ. The first one that comes to mind but, is a bit more strange, is the quidditch club. College is all about finding a group of people that you like to be around with the same interests as you, even if they happen to be extremely odd(quidditch club I'm looking at you). It's definitely good to not care about what people think, especially when I'm paying for the education and I wanna get my money's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment