Tuesday, August 17, 2010

FIGHT!

I thought that I might write something up after I came back from Busch Gardens last week but I was busy being lazy and preparing to go back to college. I managed to kick my fear of heights in the nuts when I went to Busch Gardens and rode all of the roller coasters. Yes, you heard that correctly, I rode every single roller coaster, even The SheiKra. It only happened because I was really tired from getting about 4 hours of sleep the night before and I was on a "so what if i die" kind of feeling that day, but I did it none the less. Today's subject though is a bit more awesome than me going on a bunch of roller coasters, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.



I'm going to start off by saying that I have yet to read the series of graphic novels on which this movie is based but I plan on doing so rather soon, as the movie definitely peaked my interest. Some people's initial reaction to the film may be one of disappointment because they think that it's just another Michael Cera film where he plays "the awkward teenager", but to assume that about this movie is way off. Michael Cera actually kicks some serious butt, and it's believable when he does so. I like the way that Edgar Wright made the film an homage to old video games and comic books with his way of combining video game elements to fights and comic book elements to the way he cut the scenes together. I went into this film not really expecting it to be too great, I mean I really like the other work that Edgar Wright has done with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz but I just wasn't sure what he could do with Michael Cera.

The movie was one of the most original things that I've seen in a while. The writing was great and the character development was definitely deep, even though there was a large amount of action involved. The action and comedy mixed well together and it makes me think that the target audience was very broad. I'm extremely disappointed that this movie didn't do so well when it opened this weekend, because after seeing it tonight I would go see it again in a heartbeat. It lives up to it's tagline of being "An epic of epic epicness", since it is truly that epic. I can't wait to get this movie on dvd or even see it again in the theaters. I'm giving it a 10/10 for how awesome it was visually and how well Michael Cera did in the role, definitely go see it if you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment