Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Why are you on stilts?

First thing I want to do is to apologize to my countless readers(countless because I have no idea who freaking reads this) for taking so long to get another post up. I've been getting pretty lazy with the end of the summer coming around and I had a block of any type of creativity. Anyway I finally thought of something that I could write about while discussing my upcoming trip to Busch Gardens. Since there's obviously going to be a lot of roller coasters there, I was reminded of my fear of heights. It's a pretty reasonable fear, I mean come on you're like 5 times as likely to die when you're up higher off the ground. Just think about it, you're probably up higher off the ground because you're doing something dangerous(climbing a ladder, riding a roller coaster, skydiving, walking on stilts). I plan on going on as many roller coasters as I can though when I go to Busch Gardens because why the hell not. I guess my whole attitude about heights has changed as I've gotten older, I only have one life I might as well have as much fun before I die.


Picture maybe related
He had a reasonable fear of a bats for a while

While we're on the subject of fears, I also have a fear of spiders mainly, but also smaller bugs. I've heard the "They're more afraid of you, than you are of them" argument many a time but fuck that. When I was younger my mom mentioned a story she had heard about a kid who was sleeping and woke up screaming with blood coming out of his ear. So the kid's parents take him to the hospital and they find that a bug had broken his eardrum. My reaction, being a child at the time, was probably something along the lines of "Oh shit, that better not happen to me". Why the hell would my mom mention a story like that when I was around, obviously to scare me into never looking for my Christmas presents early or something. So from that point on I have always had this sort of obsessive behavior where I check the sheets on my bed before I go to sleep as well as the ceiling(for spiders because they're sneaky bastards). And while I'm falling asleep I cover my ears with my sheets to make sure no bugs get in.

That first fear is pretty justifiable being that if I'm walking on stilts I'm more likely to die than if I'm just walking around normally. But that second fear is pretty much just something that came around from a story I heard that managed to stick around in my brain. So hopefully one day I don't end up living in a Cloud City type place that's infested with spiders and small bugs, that would basically be my worst nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment